1. Is it safe and secure to register over the internet?
The Saratoga Palio works closely with ARE Event Productions who is a leader in online registration in the Capital Region. Their ZippyReg.com event registration website is safe, secure, and easy to use. Their system is fully PCI Compliant and does not save any of your credit card or payment account information. Your information is protected and also not shared with anyone outside of us, the event organizers.
2. I registered for The Saratoga Palio Half-Marathon event and now I am unable to run. Can I get my money back or defer to another year?
We are sorry, but we do not offer refunds; however, you may defer your registration for one year through ZippyReg.com until August 31st (fee applies).
For specific instructions on how to defer your registration online, click here to go to ZippyReg.com.
3. What if I sign up for one event, but my training doesn’t go as planned? Can I change races?
You may change your race through ZippyReg.com until August 31, as long as the race you want to change to has not reached capacity. If the entrant limit has not been reached by the Expo/packet pick-up, race changes will be permitted in person at this time.
For specific instructions on how to change your race online, click here to go to ZippyReg.com.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE CHANGING YOUR RACE:
– Your change is subject to availability in the other race. A confirmation screen will let you know if the request has been processed.
– The Saratoga Palio will charge an additional fee if the race you are changing to has a higher entry fee. All associated fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
4. I already registered, but cannot run. Is there a way to transfer my registration to someone else?
Yes. You may transfer your registration to another athlete through ZippyReg.com until August 31. The new participant must claim the registration by the online registration close date.
For specific instructions on how to transfer your registration online, click here to go to ZippyReg.com.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE TRANSFERRING YOUR REGISTRATION:
– When you transfer your registration, you will receive a coupon code to give to the person taking your spot. That code is valid for a single use and is only valid for the specific race you registered for at that event. (i.e. the 5k or half marathon).
– That code only transfers entry into the event. Any additional items, if applicable, are NOT transferred and must be purchased by the new entrant.
– That code is valid through the transfer deadline date/time indicated above. The person must register using your code before then with NO exception.
– YOU, the person transferring YOUR registration, fully voids your registration when creating the code, even if that code is ultimately not used.
– The person using your code (person you are transferring your registration to) must pay the $10 transfer fee.
– All associated fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. If you desire ‘reimbursement’ for your initial registration, this solely is achieved through your own arrangement with the person to whom you are transferring your registration.
– The Saratoga Palio and ZippyReg accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for third party transactions.
5. Can’t I just “give” my entry to my friend if I cannot run?
No. Due to USATF rules and regulations, each participant must register themselves and sign their own waiver. Any walker or runner who is participating with another participant’s bib number can be disqualified at the discretion of the race director. If it is discovered that an individual is participating (running on the course or in any way utilizing components of the event while wearing a bib for the event) without having registered him/herself for the race, it is considered cheating and trespassing. The individual for whom the bib was actually assigned may, at the discretion of the event, be permanently banned from participating in the event. In the event of a medical emergency, such a violation can have a life/death effect with respect to treatment provided/emergency contacts, and other information associated with who is supposed to have the bib.
See question #4 above for proper instructions on how to transfer your bib to another person.
6. What are the age requirements for registering for a particular event?
Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their Registration Waiver for all events.
7. This is my first running event. Can you direct me to a training program?
The Saratoga Palio is happy to partner with the Fleet Feet Distance Project for an official training group. Please visit http://www.fleetfeetalbany.com/pages/fleet-feet-distance-project for several training program options as well as other helpful tools such as training tips and pace charts.
8. I am traveling from another town. Can you direct me to your Host Hotel as well as other hotels in close proximity to the start and finish line area?
A room block has been reserved at the Hampton Inn Downtown Saratoga Springs under the Saratoga Palio. Please use the code PAL to access our room block.
9. Do you have an Elite Running Program?
Yes. The qualifying times for elite runners are 1:15:00 for men and 1:23:00 for women. For additional information on how to apply for an elite bib, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. How do I become a Sponsor?
Click here for sponsorship info
11. How do you time the events?
The Saratoga Palio Half Marathon & 5K is timed by ARE Event Productions using the ChronoTrack B-Tag system. The B-Tag is a paper-thin RFID strip that is affixed to the back of your bib. As such, to ensure you appear in the results, please wear your bib on your outer-most front layer. Do not bend your bib nor modify it in any way.
12. Can I wear headphones on the course?
YES. Because USA Track & Field (USATF), the governing body for long distance running in the United States, recently revised their safety rule (#144.3b) banning the use of headphones and other music devices at all USATF-sanctioned running events, The Saratoga Palio will allow runners in non-championship races to wear headphones on the course. All participants wishing to pursue prize money must still obey USATF rules (#144.3).
13. Where should I park my car the morning of the race?
Click here for more info on parking
14. Are strollers or baby joggers allowed on the course?
The 5k race permits strollers and baby joggers. We respectfully request that you
line up towards the rear of participants at the start of the race.
The half marathon is solely limited to runners. No strollers or baby joggers are
allowed in the half marathon.
15. What is the Health and Fitness Expo? Do I have to go? Does it cost money?
The Health and Fitness Expo is FREE and open to participants, their friends and family, and the general public. The Expo will be held on Saturday at the Hampton Inn & Suites Saratoga Springs Downtown. Each registered participant is strongly encouraged to attend to pick up their race bib (including timing chip) and race shirt.
Additionally, the Expo is an opportunity to get great deals on shoes and clothing, enjoy a last minute sports massage and sample new products and more. Check back on the website for vendor information.
16. Can someone else pick up my bib and race packet for me?
YES! Someone other than the registered runner may pick up the race packet at the Expo.
17. Can I pick up my race packet on race day?
Yes, however to avoid a delay in your race start it is strongly encouraged that runners pick up at the Health and Fitness Expo/Packet Pick Up on Saturday.
18. I won’t be able to participate; can I still pick up my t-shirt?
YES! Please stop by the Health and Fitness Expo and pick up your bib, t-shirt and goody bag.
19. Is there something for my kids to do?
YES! There will be a free Kids Run starting at 9:15 am in the field near the finish line. The approximate distance for the kids run is 100 yards. Everyone receives a commemorative #1 bib and a prize. There will also be food, drinks, and more fun for the whole family.
20. What can my family do while waiting for me to finish?
This year we will be finishing the race in Congress Park! Located at the finish line – there will be live music, food, drinks, cheering and more! Family and friends are also encouraged to line the course to cheer for runners.
21. I need to make a change to my registration information (my name is misspelled, my age is wrong, I have moved, etc.)
To process a Personal Data Change Request, please go to www.zippyreg.com/online_reg/reg_confirmation.php with your Registration Confirmation Code (received via email after your entry was completed). There will be a link “Request a Personal Data Change/Contact Us” which will link to a form to submit a change request.
22. I have a friend who would like to volunteer, can they help?
YES! We always need an extra set of hands! Please visit our volunteer page to learn about the opportunities available for volunteers.
23. Are there restrooms at the start and on the course?
YES! At the start, limited restrooms are available at The Hampton Inn & Suites, Downtown Saratoga Springs. There are port a potties available in the parking lot of the Post Office at 475 Broadway, Saratoga Springs and in Congress Park at the finish line/hospitality area. Restrooms along the course can be found on the course map, denoted by the bathroom symbol.
24. What is the temperature usually like on race day in Saratoga Springs, NY?
During the third weekend in September, the average high temperature in Saratoga Springs is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. The average low is 49 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s often chilly in the morning, but depending on the amount of sun it can warm up quickly. Layers are advised for all runners!
25. Is The Saratoga Palio Half Marathon a Boston Marathon and NYC qualifier?
The Saratoga Palio Half Marathon is a NYC Marathon Qualifier. The Boston Marathon only uses full marathon times for qualifying.
26. Is there a bag or backpack policy?
Bags and backpacks are strongly discouraged at the Start/Finish areas on race day. Spectators are asked to travel lightly as well. Those with diaper bags, purses and other items should note that their bags could be searched in the vicinity of the start and finish lines. Any unattended bags are subject to search and removal from the premises.
27. If I miss the awards ceremony, how can I collect my award?
Please contact us at email@example.com.