The mission of the Melanie Foundation is to provide ﬁnancial assistance to graduate students in the mental health ﬁeld. Each year a scholarship is awarded in Ms. O’Donnell’s name to promote her legacy of helping others through the exercise of wisdom and compassion. Through scholarship awards and fundraising activities, the Foundation seeks to raise awareness about the inextricable link between mental health issues and community violence. Moreover, scholarship recipients advance the Foundation's mission by devoting their energies and talents to the needs of victims, as well as the needs of emergency management professionals and health care practitioners.
The 2012 Scholarship Recipients
- School of Psychology at the University of Northern Colorado
- Clinical-Community Psychology at the University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Massachusetts School of Psychology, Forensic Psychology and Latino Mental Health
The Melanie Foundation Application and Information
What is being awarded?
The Melanie Foundation Scholarship is a $2,500 scholarship to be awarded to a candidate pursuing a doctoral or master’s degree in the mental health field.
How long will the scholarship last?
The scholarship will be awarded to a candidate for one year.
Candidates may reapply for additional years.
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Currently enrolled or accepted into a graduate program majoring in the mental health field in the United States. Programs must be accredited by the credentialing agency appropriate to the field of study.
- Provide evidence of past involvement in extracurricular, volunteer, research, and/or career-related activities.
- Demonstrate experience and interest in one or more of the ideals to which Melanie Merola O’Donnell committed herself.
What are the application requirements?
- Curriculum vitae and cover letter. Please include e-mail address. (PDF)
- Unofficial transcripts (undergraduate and/or graduate). Official transcripts may be requested at a later date. (PDF)
- Two letters of reference supporting the candidate’s application from adults who have known the candidate for more than 1 year (at least one from a professional in the mental health field, another from an individual who has known the candidate either personally or professionally for 5 years or more). Letters of reference should be emailed directly to our email address with the applicant's name as the subject of the email (firstname.lastname@example.org) (PDF)
- A typed (double-spaced) essay of no more than 2-3 pages on how your experiences in the mental health profession have shaped your life and how you will use your college and graduate education to assist communities in a manner consistent with Melanie Merola O’Donnell’s values of compassion, generosity, respect, and honesty. (PDF)
- All application materials must be sent together as a PDF in one email, with the reference letters arriving separately with the applicant's name in the subject line. Please be clear about this when requesting a reference. If your documents exceed the amount of space allowed in one email you may send multiple emails but please do so during the same time frame so they arrive together.
As an option you may choose one of the following quotes to incorporate into your statement:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
~ Maya Angelou
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
Thank you to all of our 2013 applicants! We will no longer be accepting applications for 2013. Scholarship recipients will be personally notified and publicly announced by June 15, 2013. All other applicants will be notified electronically.
The Melanie Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, Vietnam-era or disabled veteran status in its selection process.
If you have questions, email us at:
Please send all materials to: